Who is Affected?
- American Indians experience death from diabetes at more than five times the rate of whites.
- American Indians are nearly twice as likely to get diabetes as whites.
North Dakotans 65 and Older
- The aging population has a diabetes prevalence rate of 17.8 percent, nearly twice the rate of those ages 45 through 64, which is 9.2 percent. (Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System 2008-2009)
- There has been a dramatic rise in children suffering from Type 2 diabetes.
- It has been linked to the rise in children being overweight due to lack of physical activity and unhealthy eating habits.
- Women who have had gestational diabetes have a 35 to 60 percent chance of developing diabetes in the next 10 to 20 years. (CDC. National Diabetes Fact Sheet, 2011)