Challenges in Reducing the Prevalence of Diabetes
- Rising prevalence of diabetes in North Dakota and the nation.
- Increased obesity due to lack of physical activity and proper nutrition.
- Low income individuals are less likely to receive the care needed to manage diabetes.
- American Indian population experiences higher prevalence and diabetes death rates.
- Rural residents lack access to care for their diabetes.
Because of the great impact of diabetes on our elderly and American Indian populations and due to the limited health-care services available to these populations, it will take a focused effort to overcome this disease in North Dakota. The NDDPCP is committed to continuing its efforts to identify partners, to eliminate barriers to quality health care, and to engage local champions to assist in developing culturally-competent strategies and engaging communities to find solutions to the problem. If you are interested in partnering to help in these efforts, contact us.